Friday, May 12, 2006

Napoleon's Glance

One of the favorite electives my husband took in his Columbia MBA's first year was "Napoleon's Glance". He kind of lectured me, everyday when he arrived home. Not only because he loved the subject and he agrees mostly with every line of thought of the teacher (Mr. William Duggan), but also, because he expected me to see my life more like they do.

Mr. Duggan believes in a new way of doing and thinking about strategy. Not only strategy in business, but also strategy for one's life.

I am kind of pesimistic person, especially when the subject discussed concerns me. This new line of thought, carefully gathered in the book "Napoleon's Glance" gives the main lines to live a happy life. Not only it explains how to be succesful in business, how to be able to detect the opportunities that life gives us, how to seize them... but also how to be hopeful and not worried about aspect that we cannot control.

I am trying to really work on that. The botton line regarding what I want to change in myself is: If there's something in the future that worries you, ACT, do something to avoid it, to control it, to overcome it... and if you really cannot do anything to avoid it, control it, overcome it... don't loose your time worrying. If you can do something, do it and stop worrying; and if you cannot do anything, stop worrying anyway, the worries won't make any good.

Given the time, I may not being clear enough. I'll give it several more thoughts and write again about it.

1 comment:

coyotepisapraos said...

If you ask me about these kind of books, I would say that you learn nothing.... but we really need to read them to remember the things we already know but we have just forgotten.

Something is wrong in this clause but I don't feel like looking for the mistake ;-)