Sunday, July 02, 2006

Go Nadal!

I have been wanting to talk about Rafa Nadal for a long time. Now, that he has won Agassi in Wimbledon, I cannot let it go.

I've played tennis since I was 4 until I was 19, when I was diagnosed with a discal hernia and recommended to give up tennis competition. Since then, I did not follow tennis enough. However, last year when this young man won Roland Garros, I remembered why I liked tennis so much.




This year, he did it again. He won Roland Garros, beating number one Roger Federer:

Nadal has won a record 60 consecutive matches on clay. Nadal's mental toughness, drive to improve, calm and constancy are amazing. Rafa Nadal is not only a great tennis player, perfectly aware of his strenghts and weaknesses, but also a very mature 20-year old boy. Besides, he looks like my small brother. They seem to be brothers! Same face, same gestures.

The important issue now is that he just beated the great Andre Agassi on grass. Rafael Nadal talks a lot about how he hopes to contend for a Wimbledon title in three or four years, once he gets used to the odd bounces and tricky footing that come with playing on grass.

Could it happen much faster than he -- or anyone else -- thought?
I hope so!

The only two Spanish tennis players who were able to win Wimbledon were Manuel Santana, 40 years ago, and Conchita Martinez in 1994. Rafael Nadal will be the next one.

Go Rafa, Go!

No comments: