Friday, July 14, 2006

How many more 11s will we suffer?

It seems that we all have to be alert the 11th of each month. This specific date is going to be remembered as the day when terrorist attacks to civilians are more likely to happen.


September 11, 2001: New York
March 11, 2004: Madrid
July 11, 2006: Bombay
Near the 11th, July 7, 2005: London.

This kind of terrorism has the objective to kill or damage civilians. Any of us could be target, they just attack normal civilians. The 11s attacks killed thousands of people.

But there are more common aspects among these attacks:
- Incredibly powerful home-made Bombs
- Usage of common transport vehicles: planes, trains, subway, buses
- Brutal number of death men, women and children ( 2,986 in NYC 9/11; 192 in M 3/11; 52 in L 7/7; 200* in B 7/11)
- Huge number of injured people
- Carried out by irrational, un-hearted, raving, furious, mislead... terrorists' puppets.

I wonder if we will ever be able to stop these kind of tragedies from happening. Will we always have to live thinking that this can happen again?

I think that life is something precious and valuable. In moments like these, I keep asking myself what would I do if I had the power to do something and I do not really get to find a solution. What are they looking for? I think that terrorists' motive is "odium, enmity", their objective is wheter:
- Convert all of us into one of them, or...
- Eliminate us, so nobody will question their ideas.

Under these circumstances, our options are kind of reduced here. We can:
- Surrender and do everything they want us to do. Recognize that whatever it is that they want us to believe, is true. Or...
- Just die!

Neither of these alternatives fits my own personal goals. I am not looking forward to die, any day soon, and I am not willing to let myself be manipulated, be obliged to do things I do not want to do, be ordered to believe in something that I don't...

So, what can we do? Nothing? Well, we can do something. We can continue living our lives as we always did. By doing so, maybe, they will understand that we are not going to accept that no matter how many of us they kill, no matter how much they try to threaten us, no matter how much pressure they put on us... we will never surrender!

In my wildest dreams I really see an ending to this. I dream about a LEADER that, keeping the main ideals of these extremist terrorists, would be able to convey them to live in peace, to abandon the fight, and just be happy, live their lives... a leader that would be able to make them realize that the world is big enough for all of us to live in peace... a leader that would be able to make them understand that killing is not an option, that everybody's life has the same value...

That is what I hope for every terrorist group, Al-Qaida, Basque Fatherland and Liberty (ETA), Al-Jihad, Hamas, Hizballah, Ansar Al-Islam (Kurdish Taliban), IRA, Janjaweed...

Kind of unlikely, isn't it? Maybe if all of us, keep dreaming about it, someday it'll be real.

* Not definitive number

No comments: